Making do with what I have

I have had a life full of challenges lately, but, I keep  putting  my feet on the ground  and go forward...

I have been looking for a small dining set but I don't  like any that I've seen.  Most are too big.  I have a vintage  table that I used in the basement at my previous home for drying craft projects.  I have it in dining area right now so people  don't  hit their head on the hanging light fixture.  

I really don't like the light but haven't  found a replacement yet.I have decided  to make do with what's  here.  

I don't  have much company these days so I am making this place a live in art studio.  Something I always  dreamed  of having, an artist loft or similar.   

My project is to refinish it as a multipurpose table.  I can still use it for eating or having a beverage with someone.  The light can be repainted and decorated in a funky way.  As long as it makes me smile when I look at it, that is what matters.  Right now it doesn't.

Downsizing has many benefits,  however,  it also creates challenges such as the size of furniture and lighting.   I don't  want to fill up the space with things that are meant for larger rooms.  

I sanded the table, wiped with a tack cloth and painted the crackle medium in stripes.  I left some areas untouched as an experiment with textures and colors.  
My plan is to paint different colors in stripes randomly then stencil Mandalas over the top.  In my mind's eye I can see it as a unique design.   If I don't  like it, it's just paint. It can be redone.  

I have not purchased anything new for this project.   Everything is from my craft stash and house paint.  Even the table has been in my possession  for years.  

I love it so far.  Although you can't see the crackled paint in the picture,  it looks amazing.   

Tomorrow  I will do the sides that fold down.   Then stencil the whole round top.  Probably will use white but if I don't  like that I can add a thin wash of color.  I may keep it light and bright for now,  but I can always grunge it up later.  
I bought  these stencils a few years ago to use on this table.  I used them on other projects.   So pretty 😍 

I think the legs and frame will be teal and black with accents that look like the top on the flat areas.
Not sure yet.  I will leave that decision  for another  day.

I am loving  how this is turning out!  The stencils are so pretty.

I used the metallic colors on the small mandalas.  Some were white while others were black to add interest.  The metallic paints look different depending on the base colors. 

 It really makes me smile  when I walk into the room.  

The copper really is stunning.  Today I will work on the bottom portion.

So far I am still in the decision process.   I painted the feet and the turnings at the top.  It makes the blonde stain look more yellow.  Definitely not a fan.  I will let it dry and make a decision later where to proceed.  
I could paint the leg white or just continue  with the teal.  Maybe leave it if it grows on me.  

Life is a journey,  art is what I do to make things beautiful.   

Comments

Popular Posts